Monday, June 28, 2010

The philosophy of BREAD.

I need an apron.

I have an intense desire these days to shield my family from the nasty chemicals and processing that has become commonplace in our food chain. It bothers me that nutrients are stripped out, shortcuts are taken, and our food has become less wholesome.

I took up bread baking sometime last year, making piroshky ( little meat buns ), potato bread, cheddar bread, and a variety of other bready items. I made a challah ( a slightly overcooked success! ), cinnamon rolls ( the first was meh, the second set was decadent ), and today I made monkey bread.

There is a magic that comes from working flour, water, yeast, salt and sugar together ad coming out with BREAD. I get a kick out of putting on my apron, dusting my countertop with flour, and kneading away. I love peeking into the oven for the " spring " of the loaf - the first five minutes when the yeast become excited ( and then bake to death ).

But most of all, I enjoy watching my children munch down toast made from real ingredients. No fillers. No chemicals. No shortcuts, nothing extra, no " fortification ".I would love to be able to recreate the whole wheat wonder bread we are addicted to ( I'm sorry. I don't know why. But we are! ). I've already made burger buns, french bread, garlic bread, dill bread. We are dabbling in homemade pizza. Muffins, cornbread, cookies, cakes ( these all count as bread, right? )

No comments: