Monday, March 16, 2009

Nothing new.....

Nothing new going on here at Casa De Kagan. Please ignore the bloggy changes as I try to work through some bugs. I'm looking for a calm, cool, and collected blog scheme that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out.

Today ( in about an hour, truthfully ), I'll be heading to the OB and hopefully getting our Csection date. The anticipation is killing me. Oh wait... no its not. I feel like I've barely anticipated this baby at all! That is going to change though. I have some sewing projects in the works that I hope will help me connect more to the child I'm growing.

On that note... a few days ago, I was happily zipping through a second pair of jammies for Mila. She loveeeeeeeeed the first pair and jersey is much, MUCH less sweaty than fleece... I cut them out, serged them up, and was applying the the last few bits of elastic and hemming when disaster struck.

My sewing machine has been slightly squeaky for *months*. Now, I freely admit that I bought a piece of crap, bottom of the line sewing machine because I had NO IDEA how much I'd love sewing. I never anticipated using it almost daily and creating entire outfits! And quilts! And other neat things! And I certainly didn't go and research exactly what kind of sewing machine would be best... I simply went out and bought one that we could afford.

So here I am... jammies in hand, foot on the pedal. Squeak... Squeak.... SQUEAK... CRUNCH.... hummmmm........................ and somewhere between the crunch and the hummmmmm, my beloved Singer crapped out on me.

Oh. Shit.

No worries! I can oil it! I stripped the cover and saw a horrible sight. Pieces bent. One piece was actually CRACKED. Oil simply wasn't going to fix this. I bemoaned my plight - sewing machineless with a list of project wants - to a good friend and she mentioned an amazing deal at Canadian Tire. THIS was on sale!

I ran out and bought it. Heck for $70, who WOULDN"T????

I got it home, unpacked it, set it up lovingly on the table with just minor complaints ( its slightly smaller, it has *no* decorative stitches, it has a totally different bobbin set up, and it sews very very very slowly ). I went to bed with a lighter heart, got up in the morning and set about my work.

Sew, sew, sew BANG. Sew, sew, sew BANG.

Uh oh. I rethreaded it. I rethreaded the bobbin. I used a different bobbin. I used better quality thread. I checked, double checked, and triple checked that it was set up correctly and that everything * should* work.

Sew, Sew, sew BANG. oh... crap....

Each " bang " resulted in a skipped stitched and a giant loop of thread on the right side of the fabric. The sewing machine I ran out to buy?

It's a piece of crap.

1 comment:

RissaRoo said...

Ugh! There is nothing worse than a bad sewing machine. I went through one disaster after another with my last one, spent more on trying to get it fixed than I would have on a new one, and then went through a second bad one (which I returned) before finally coughing up the $$ and buying another Singer. Sigh. I hope you get it worked out...you're so talented and there is nothing more fun then sewing for a new baby!